Friday, October 2, 2020

Cats Pocket Scarf in Clean Mosaic Crochet - FREE graph pattern (CH0351)

Cats Pocket Scarf is my first full project use of my Clean Mosaic Crochet (CMC) technique. And I think the test run turned out ok. While the pocket scarf is scheduled to fly off to USA, I will be offering the cats graph as a FREE graphed pattern.

Cats Pocket Scarf in Clean Mosaic Crochet - FREE graph pattern (CH0351)



Credits:
The original source of inspiration for the cats designed was from a royalty-free illustration I saw which consisted of “cats alphabets”. I adapted and re-jigged it so that I could apply them to a Mosaic Crochet graph.

I have search for hours for the original artist of the alphabet cats. (If anyone knows, please do let me know). I have seen the graph all over the place, most notably on Pinterest, being used for various crafts from embroidery, cross stitch, etc. The graphed alphabet cat as I first saw it (and as you see in the photo above) is in no way adapted for mosaic crochet work. It did take more than a day or two for me to be able to convert it into a Mosaic Crochet graphed pattern, making adjustments as needed, for this to work.


Addendum (12 Nov 2020):
I have just read a message (to me) from cawingcrow on Ravelry that informs me that the cats design was originally created by Craftypodes/Facebook (David & Kelly Martinez). Thank you Craftypodes!

Pattern Is Available

I am offering this as a free graph pattern.

WHERE TO DOWNLOAD THIS PATTERN

Basic Info on the Pattern

This is a free graphed pattern. The rows are not written out. You will rely almost solely on the graphed pattern. (Was too hard to write out all the rows as this is not made of repeating mosaic patterns.)

My version (this shown here) is worked in Clean Mosaic Crochet – which means no bothersome cut ends at the end of every row; borders are clean and worked into the work as you go; one row per colour. (Ref: Free Tutorial on How To Clean Mosaic Crochet).

Note:
While I made this pocket scarf using the CMC technique, I imagine that this can also be done in the other Mosaic Crochet methods (e.g. the Overlay Mosaic Crochet, the Chain-Space Mosaic Crochet). You might end up with a slightly different sizing and drape … but for that you will have to experiment and maybe adjust as you go along.

The pattern (a PDF manual, at time of writing) consists of:

  • graphs (scarf and pattern-matching pockets) with number-notations (how many sc, how many ddc [drop dc]) for every row using the CMC method. Saves you from having to count the squares as you work
  • NO COLOURS have been specified in the graphs. I leave the colour choices up to you.
  • explanation of how to read the graphs for CMC
  • links to relevant tutorials and/or articles
Size: Free size (Measures approx190x51cm; Pocket = approx. 20×20 cm)

Materials & Specifications:

Crochet Terminology (when used): American &/or pictorial crochet symbols

Yarn: Stylecraft Special DK, Paintbox Simply DK

Manufacturer’s Recommended Needle Size: 4 mm

No. of Colours: (2 or more)

Hooks used: 3.5mm

Crochet Techniques: CMC (Clean Mosaic Crochet)

Final Nett Wt: 700g (approx)

Work Time — (lost count!!!)


Status: gifted - to bevvie, sept/oct 2020.
Gauge
yarn:with Stylecraft, Special DK

hook: 3.5m hook

technique: CMC

Gauge: 10x10cm == 15.88sts x 15.10R



Cats Pocket Scarf – Photos