Monday, July 29, 2019

MellowMe CastOn - my favourite foundation row; how to

MellowMe Cast On (MM Cast On) is my personal nickname for this crochet method of starting the foundation row in lieu of the standard chain cast on. The MM Cast On also makes a great crochet cord!

MellowMe CastOn - my favourite foundation row; how to



Actually there are 2 real names for the this method, depending on the function you intend to use it for. They are:

Crochet Long Tail Foundation Base Chain (CLTFBC) or Perfect Crochet I-Cord (PCIC) Too much of a mouth full even when acronymed don’t you think? So whenever I refer to this method, I just refer to it as MM CastOn.

I call this method as MM Cast On because this method of starting a crochet piece was created by Melissa of MellowMe Creations and she has been copyrighted with the US Copyright Office.

Since I first came across this method, I have seen this method under a different name - and neither the name nor the method was copyrighted. At the moment, I don't recall what the other name is. I will add it here when I do. Meanwhile, I will continue to refer to this method as MM Caston.
Sidenote (added Jul 20201): Since my writing of this, “MellowMe Creations” seems to have changed its name on YouTube to “Mandaloria”. But I will stick with the MM CastOn nickname for simplicity.

Here is her youTube video. (dded Apr, 2024: I just discovered that apparently she has disabled to view this video other than on YouTube.)


Main Benefits of MM CastOn:

  • much prettier and more solid than the Chain Cast On
  • less restrictive and stretchier than the chain on cast on
  • easier than the Chainless Foundation CastOn (my former favourite)
  • much faster than Chainless Foundation CastOn

use this method everywhere I can, be it for long or short pieces of work.


Important Tip:
You need to have a “tail” to start the MM foundation row. That is usually about 3 – 3.5 times the length of the final length you want.