Thursday, June 11, 2020

C2C Straight Diagonal Edge - How To

In C2C Crochet, how do you make a straight diagonal edge? That was exactly what I had to do recently to make pockets that had a slanting top edge. Here is a quick tutorial on how to make a straight diagonal edge in Corner to Corner crochet.




Most people who know how to crochet C2C would be using the standard C2C method (i.e. 3ch+3dc per square) rather than my preferred LC2C. I prefer my LC2C (Linked C2C, aka No-Hole C2C) because using linked stitches, I end up with a lovely, cushy fabric but without the holes which, unfortunately, are part and parcel of the standard C2C. I don’t know about yours, but the holes in my standard C2C just gets larger with use. Fingers and toes keep escaping through them when you most want to keep warm!

Anyway, I will illustrate how to create the straight diagonal edge using both standard C2C and LC2C. (You can also view How to crochet LC2C.)






Linked C2C (LC2C) – Making a Straight Diagonal Edge

To make a straight diagonal edge when working with LC2C, it would be easier (but not necessary) if you were already familiar with how to crochet Linked C2C.

The logic here is to crochet 3 stitches together to “cut” the square, diagonally. The 3 stitches are basically, [3ch + 1dc + 1hdc] – crocheting them together into one stitch.

Don’t worry if it all looks a bit complicated right now. Just click the photos and follow along. I assure you that when you have yarn and hook in hand, it is much much easier. Having to explain it, step by steP…. that is the hard part!!!






Making a Straight Diagonal Edge (EASIER!!!)

I apologize but I don't have the time to re-do the graphics and delineate the steps. This image is not mine (I got it from Pinterest, I think. But as you can see, it comes from ellej.org and it a worthwhile site to visit.)

Anyway, the diagram is another example of how to crochet a straight diagonal edge. I think this might be an easier method.





This is an example of where I first employed my method of making straight diagonal edge in a LC2C piece.

Pocket Tip:
Go to the detailed steps in Wassily01 Jacket to see additional steps on how one can :-
• neaten further the diagonal edges
• neaten all the edges of a pocket
• virtually invisible way of attaching pocket to garment