Tuesday, February 25, 2020

LC2C (Linked C2C) or No Hole Corner to Corner Crochet - How to

Linked C2C (LC2C) crochet? What is it?

I talked about the Basic and most common form of C2C crochet before. But my preferred C2C crochet is this Linked C2C crochet, which I also sometimes refer to as No-Hole C2C. I have currently not as yet come across anyone doing this so this term “Linked C2C (LC2C)” or “No-Hole C2C” are my own labels to indicate:

• LC2C is made of linked stitches (LDC – Linked Double Crochet. That is a standard and pre-existing crochet terminology) and..
that with this method, there are no pesky holes in the final fabric

Linked C2C (LC2C) vs Basic (with holes) C2C

Linked C2C is my preferred C2C because I end up with a crochet fabric that is not full of holes. The normal basic C2C crochet is lovely but I find, too holey. And for winter blankets when you need all the protection you can get from the cold, to have your toes poking through into the chilly air is no fun at all.

Here is another look at the results. The first 2 photos shows one of my earlier blankets, made using the standard C2C (corner to corner) stitch. The next 2 photos shows my later work (Artist Trio Lap Blanket) after I worked out the Linked C2C (or NoHole C2C) stitch.

This is a photo tutorial but it would be much easier to follow along if you know how to do the basic corner to corner crochet. I am starting this photo tutorial as if that is the case.


Why Linked C2C Crochet is Better

Linked C2C vs Basic C2C crochet. You can see how holey the basic corner to corner is. I am actually stretching both of the pieces to you can see the difference better. You may think that your basic C2C crochet is not that holey. And that is true. But over time, with use, C2C articles like blankets tend to have larger and larger holes with use, over time. Like I said, … brrrr! No fun!


Picture Tutorial: How to do LC2C (Linked C2C) Crochet

Note: Linked C2C is a combination of basic C2C crochet and LDCs (Linked Double Crochet stitches)

Below are the steps that lays out the logic of how to link all the stitches to prevent holes in corner to corner (C2C) crochet. Don’t be disheartened if it looks complicated. If you work along, you will find it is all logical and simple.

As with basic C2C, start with 6 chains
This links the next dc to the side 3-ch
Use the horizontal bar for "linking" to the next dc
Addendum: for clarity
Addendum: for clarity

Tip:
I normally tend to neaten ALL the edges of my pieces, especially if I am going to join more than one piece together. I neaten the edges, then I join. It might seem a waste of time, but it is worth the effort especially as it makes it so much easier to join the pieces later. And I think the final finish looks much more professional.