Friday, August 20, 2021

Wassily01A Boxy Japanese Jacket XL Extra Large (CH0526A)

When I gifted the first of this original Wassily01 Boxy Japanese Jacket to my friend last year as a belated birthday present, it was too small for her. So this year, I have used exactly the same pattern but with different yarns and hook sizes to create this Extra Large and roomy Japanese Boxy Jacket. I hope this time, we have a successful fit.

Wassily01A Japanese Boxy Jacket XL (CH0526A)



Pattern Availability

Where to Buy this Pattern

Wassily01 Jacket pattern on Ravelry


Materials & Specifications

Size: Loose Fit. XL (Extra Large). This should comfortably fit AU sz 16 and above.
Crochet Terminology: American & Crochet Symbols
Yarn: 2 yarns worked together:
1) 8ply acrylic (mix of Paintbox, Stylecraft, Heirloom Dazzle) and
2) superfine/fingering alpaca blend yarn (ICE Caress Baby Alpaca 30% alpaca, 31% extrafine merino, 36% Polyamide, 3% elastan)
Manufacturer's Recommended Needle/Hook Size: DK yarns – 4mm
Superfine/Fingering yarn – 2 or 3mm
Hooks Used: 4mm (used 3mm in original Wassily01 Jacket)
Number of Colours: 2 or more
Crochet Technique/Stitch: Linked C2C
(Normal C2C can also be employed but expect some size difference)
Level: Intermediate to Advance or anyone familiar with Need to be comfortable working off charted/graphed patterns
Final Nett Wt (approx.): 1.25kg
Work Time (approx.; excl. prep & graphing): 3 weeks
Status: n/a 2021, Gift to Christine in XL size



Brief Summary of Changes

What follows is only a brief summary; more to remind myself than anything else. Please refer to the original Wassily01 Japanese Boxy Jacket blog for full photos and steps.

I followed the graph and pattern as per Wassily01 Boxy jacket.

To make this bigger XL size, I worked the stated 2 yarns weights together for each colour.

Note: I deliberately chose the fine yarn to have a good alpaca content. Not only is alpaca yarn very warm but almost as importantly, it is a very light yarn (due to its hollow structure, I believe). I wanted to minimize the final weight of the garment as it can get pretty heavy if I just used any old thicker yarn to achieve the larger size.

Fingering weight (4ply)

I used a larger hook (4mm instead of 3mm) for most of the body.

As you can see, I changed the colours.

Tip: print out the original legend. And stick in the yarns wrt the new colour palette. This helps a lot, believe me!
The front and neck border is worked in CMC (Clean Mosaic Crochet) using a different mosaic crochet pattern from Barbara Walker’s book of (mosaic knitting) patterns. I also used a thicker yarn (Aran wt; Creative Corner) but still with 4mm hook for the border.


Comparison of Sizes

This Wassily01A in XL to the original Wassily01 Jacket.