Sunday, March 23, 2014

Door Stop – Melissa Windstorm mix media door stopper (CH0324)

Melissa Windstorm is the second door stop in my series of doorkeepers, created in celebration (and need) for our new home in Apollo Bay.
Mix Media Door Stop - Melissa Windstorm (CH0324)

As with my earlier mix media door stop, Chiki Tiki, I started with a rough sketch. I know that the final product is nothing much like the rough sketch. Nonetheless, the sketch is an invaluable guide as the bits and pieces come together.
rough sketch for door stop
Here is a quick look at the joyous first meeting between Melissa Windstorm and the heavier, Chiki Tiki.
First meeting: Melissa Windstorm & Chiki Tiki

Since I covered most of the fiddly and ad-hoc steps in quite a bit of detail in the making of door stop Chiki Tiki, I will mainly show photos here. But I will only point out some of the more salient construction differences.

As with any type of mix media work of this kind, using the sketch as a guide, I tend to play around with bits of different materials till I more or less have a look that holds possibility.

According to the rough sketch, I thought I might have a round, flat bottomed door stop. However I changed my mind and opted for a rectangular, flat base. It was easier!

General Construction Steps
After cutting the shape I wanted (see previous photo), all I had to do was sew across the bottom as in this photo. After that, when the resultant triangular flaps are sewn inwards, I end up with a rectangular, flat bottom. Easy, yes?
How to make flat-bottom for doorstop
Here is what the door stop flat-bottom finally looks like. (Feet here have already been attached, using the triangular flaps to hide the edges of the feet-pieces.)
Bottom view of doorstop
As I said, not a lot of construction details in this how to make mix media door stop article. But here are more photos. One can always get lots of ideas and tips from photos!
Close-up of Melissa Windstorm doorstopper

I would like to thank Kay of Kay’s Artycles for the “inspire” charm and Amanda Dick (on Facebook) for the colourful crochet pieces. They gifted those components to me many years ago. I wonder if they can still recognise them?!