Thursday, July 20, 2017

Corn Sheaf Jumper - knitted jumper (CH0457)

Once upon a time, it was a corn sheaf jumper. But this latest creation is a variation on that: corn sheaf & flowers knitted jumper.

Corn Sheaf Jumper - knitted jumper (CH0457)



Many years ago, I made this corn sheaf jumper (below). I think the pattern was from a Vogue Knitting magazine. And though I searched high and low and through every magazine in the house, I could not find that particular pattern anywhere.

me in the Original Corn Sheaf Jumper

So I searched the internet. For ages. And I finally a copy of the pattern over at Etsy. (The pattern was just a photocopy of the original pattern. And not a very good copy. I think there were bits of instructions missing from the photocopy.)

I made this new (blue) version different from the first. (Yes, me too. I prefer the original corn sheaf jumper too.) This was mainly due to:

• I didn’t have enough of a single colour, in the appropriate yarn. And I was eager to get started.

• When I made the new version, I was in a “multi-colour” phase and was also eager to try out some new ideas and techniques (overlay crochet for neck and cuffs; mosaic knitting for the sleeves)




Work in Progress and Tips

This wonderful yarn was something I have kept for years. And while it is not my favourite colour, it was time to use it as this winter is cold!

  • The “stalks” are part of the knitted pattern (knit stitches on a reverse stockinette stitch background).
  • The “corn” is embroidered on.
  • The flowers are crocheted and then sewn on.
  • The sleeves are knitted in 2 different mosaic knitting pattern (from Barbara Walker’s Mosaic Knitting book).
  • The back is knitted in a different pattern


The parts I love the best are the neckband and the cuffs. These are done in overlay crochet. They are worked separately from the garment and sleeves. Garment & sleeves are knitted and completed first, including the seams. Then stitches are picked up and overlay crochet is worked in the round.

Tip: Overlay crochet makes a wonderful finishing band. Not only is it colourful (and allows free styling, which I love) but also it produces a firmer and more durable finish (than normal ribbing). It has give but is still solid, and comfortingly firm. And less likely to lose its shape than normal knitted ribbing
Comfortingly Firm Cuffs
Neckband in Overlay Crochet