Monday, June 3, 2013

Beaded Batik Cuffs

I have been playing on and off with beading batik for almost  a year now. And most of my efforts are still in the sad WIP (work in progress) incomplete stages.  Except for a few, this Beaded Batik Cuff being one of them.
Beaded Batik Cuff - ClearyHelena
Beaded Batik Cuff

CH0315


Unfortunately this is one of those projects where I got carried away and didn't take many notes.  So all I have a quite a few detailed photos to show.

Beaded Batik Cuff - ClearyHelena

Beaded Batik Cuff - ClearyHelena

I hope you will this pictorial journey on beading on batik.
Some tips on making Beaded Batik:

  • using authentic Batik fabric as a base helps :)
  • the more uniformly shaped your beads (per color) - the neater the lines.  Hence using brand beads like the Japanese Miyuki seed beads is a good
  • it helps to have some kind of stiffener as part of the cuff.  I had my stiffener as part of my front so that the beading goes through that as well.  That also gives a firmer base to the beadwork.
  • ensure you have enough fabric so that the backing is all in one piece and is only folded over and neatened after all the beadwork is complete
  • my press studs (happily suitable and easy when working with fabric) is also sewn on before the back in folded and neatened.
  • use fabric protection against dirt and stain

Beaded Batik Cuff - ClearyHelena

Beaded Batik Cuff - ClearyHelena

Beaded Batik Cuff - ClearyHelena

Beaded Batik Cuff - ClearyHelena


Beaded Batik Cuff - ClearyHelena

MATERIALS used:

  • batik fabric
  • Japanese and Czech seed beads (11/0 and 15/0)
  • Swarovski sew-on stones


Beaded Batik Cuff - ClearyHelena