Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Join: Linked Half Double Crochet (LHDC) for a wider join

This LHDC Join (Linked Half Double Crochet join) gives a sturdy yet flexible, medium-wide crochet join. I first used this crochet join, which I call the LHDC Join (Linked Half Double Crochet join) for my Artist Trio Blanket. There are number of nice, flat crochet joins but most of them use either sc (single crochet) or filet crochet method. The former was too narrow and the latter was too holey and fragile for my blanket.

Join: Linked Half Double Crochet (LHDC) for a wider join




So I experimented and came up with the LHDC. I used this tutorial from YouTube: Tight Crochet Join. It was good but too narrow for my purposes. However it gave me the basis and idea on how to develop my LHDC crochet join which is:

• thicker
• strong/firm
• no holes

Tip: you can use this same technique for an even wider, strong join using LDC (linked double crochet)

How to Make the LHDC Crochet Join

Notes:
  • For simplicity, I will refer to the 2 pieces to be joined as Left and Right pieces
  • sorry, I have not written a tutorial on how to do LDC (linked double crochet) – which this method uses. Hopefully you already know how to, or you can find some tutorial online. It is quite an easy stitch and you should be able to learn it in a jiffy. Linked DC is just linking the standard DC stitches to each other to form a nice, non-holey output.
I apologise at this point for this disjoint at this point. I don’t have time to do another photo tutorial so I hope you can follow along. The photos (below) to illustrate this technique continues at a different section of the work so you will see different colours. I also apologise that the photos above actually show me using LDC (linked double crochet) rather than LHDC (linked half double crochet). So below is specifically for how to do this crochet join with LHDC.

s/n: I started with double crochet join and then decided I preferred the half dc … which is as per below

Hope that helps!